Friday 1 July 2011

Indian block printing.

I have always enjoyed printmaking, although time consuming the results are always very individual.


A traditional block printed Indian design.


and the hand carved wooden blocks used in the printing process.

Below is a short video about the printing process in India.


If you are interested in this subject and you don't know about much about it, I suggest that you look at the work of Dorothy Larcher and Phyllis Barron, Susan Bosence and Enid Marx to name but a few. These names were some of the top printmakers of their era in the UK and well worth researching. It was felt when Susan Bosence died in 1996 at the age of 82 (the last of the group) that it was the end of an era. I remember reading her obituary in the Observer newspaper, but, although time consuming this type of printmaking is having a bit of a revival recently, there are many contemporary artist producing fine work.


Beads.


Citrus.


Reverse sweetpea.


Smokebush.

I found these lovely hand printed fabrics from a firm in Philladelphia USA. www.galbraithandpaul.com  I think the designs are simple but very effective.




Have a go yourself, I found this and think it is a good starting point.

1 comment:

Weaveron Textile said...

I love their prints and patterns.
Click this https://www.weaveron.com/ to see a better design.