Thursday 9 June 2011

Lucky lucky me.

During my teaching year at the University of Cumbria I have been lucky enough to have been working with some inspiring students, it is their final year shows at the moment so if you can get along to see them then what are you waiting for? I have decided over the next few posts to show you some of the work that I have enjoyed starting with the thought provoking and inspiring Emma Mckenzie.
Emma works in ceramics and I have been watching her develop her ideas for quite a while, she is leaving us now to continue her studies in Manchester, I am sure that she will have a successful future in front of her so this is one to keep an eye on!


Emma in her studio.

I am particularly draw to Emma's work as it touches something deep within the viewer, speaking to people  in different ways of universal human experiences, this enables you to project your own stories and emotions onto the pieces . Although photographs can never do this work justice as it is very tactile, I hope that you will find it as interesting as I do.



Inspired by material gathered during a cultural exchange placement in Bulgaria exploring the themes around private memorial in public spaces.



The red clay used for these figures was dug from the site of the tragedy.


In memory of the fishermen who lost their lives to the sea during Scotland's perfect storm of 1881.

To see more of Emma's work www.emmamckenzie.com

We do not see things as they are
we see things as we are.
Talmud.

No comments: