Monday 16 May 2011

Wonder why I thought this!

A while ago I came across an image that really interested me, it was by an artist called Jylian Gustlin, this is it.

Erro to Wander. 


Erro to Wander. Detail.

When I first saw this image I assumed that it was a textile piece, the composition, marks and quality of the line seemed to me to suggest this to be the case, as far as I can find out though it is a painting. The image stayed with me and yesterday I began to look for it again, I had remembered the name of the artist incorrectly and assuming that it had been a textile searched in this area, finding nothing of course. When I eventually managed to find the piece again I was amazed to find out that Jylian is a painter, now that I know it seems obvious but her work still has the feel of stitch from my perspective.


Bivium. Detail.


Moth. Detail.

Jylian Gustlin is a Californian artist living in the San Fransisco bay area, I have been unable to find out many details of her practice but you can see more of her work at www.jyliangustlin.com . This work is both interesting and thought provoking for me, I am fascinated by the way that the different disciplines of painting and textile practice appear to overlap or meld together in some way and yet there is no stitch used as far as I am aware. I find myself wondering if textiles has any significance to her or influences her work in any way, the edges and line details in these images 'feels' like the line made by machine stitch.


Quindam. Detail.


Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
William Shakespeare.


I enjoy the work of this artist, for whatever reason there is something appealing about the work and the way that she represents the human form. From the little information that I can find it seems that she started her career in computer science and mathematics, just another form of the all encompassing term 'creativity'. It is a broad term, creativity, it stretches it's tentacles into many different areas of practice.

Textile, painting, mixed media, print making etc when you cut through all the hierarchy that floats around the establishment art world good art is good art when all is said and done.

Be patient to all that is unsolved in your heart and dreams,
try to love the questions themselves.
Rainer Maria Rilke.

No comments: