Friday 5 August 2011

Cy Twombly 1928-2011.

I have just found out that famed American painter Cy Twombly, who first found the limelight with his calligraphic paintings in the late 1950s,  died on July 5th in Rome aged 83. This is a small tribute to one of my favorite artists.


Cycles and Seasons.
When I first came across the work of Cy Twombly a few years ago I though 'wow who is this young artist his work is amazing', I then found out that he was at the time in his late 70's, born 1928. His work felt as if it was so 'of this point in time' and I have admired it ever since. It's fascinating to think that a man who was born in a different era can make abstract conceptual work that is so contemporary. He will be a big loss but will I am sure continue to inspire people for years to come.


One of Twombly's late 1960s "Blackboard paintings"
"Graffiti is linear and it's done with a pencil, and it's like writing on walls. But in my paintings it's more lyrical." Cy Twombly.


Text and image- The Telegraph newspaper.
One of the most important collections of Twombly's work is the Brandhorst Collection in Munich, and includes the monumental work Lepanto of 2001, which consists of 12 canvases situated in the central room. The collection is comparable only with the Cy Twombly Gallery in the Menil Collection in Houston, Texas.


Apollo The Artist. 1975.


Cy Twombly was not only a painter he was also a sculptor, here he is at the Dulwich Picture Gallery.
There is an exhibition of his work in Dulwich until September 25th, if you are lucky enough to be able to get there. 

By The Ioian Sea. 1988.

1 comment:

Red2thread said...

Reminds me a bit of Jean-Michel Basquiat.