Wednesday 13 July 2011

Midweek meander.

I have been thinking about how popular the art of the handmade and crafts are becoming again and it gladdens my heart. Craft was really popular in the 1970's and then like so many things that were seen as 'Womens Work' it was dismissed as having no value other than keeping idle hands busy (when have you ever seen an idle woman!) Well its back, big time so I thought that I would have a wander around the internet and see how this generation of crafters are reinterpreting it. Wow, a bit wide for a midweek meander so I'm going to stick to the traditional crafts of crochet and knitting, starting with crochet because of all the things I can do I somehow have a mental block when it comes to crochet!




Crochet stones Margaret Oomen.

I just love these and really need to get some! 1. because I am a stone hunter and 2. because they are so unashamedly beautiful that my house is bereft without a bowl of them! For those of you that can crochet www.purlbee.com has kindly provided a pattern tagged 'Margaret Oomens little urchin covered sea stones', for any crocheting friends reading this Christmas is coming!


Yarn bombing.



Cheering up the Urban environment there is a new and hugely popular way of cocking a snook at authority and knocking the edge of the (at times) harsh urban landscape it is called Yarn bombing or Guerilla crochet/knitting. I love it all, the quirkiness, the anarchey, the fun and the statement it makes.


 Now who could complain about that?



Or these.


Magda Sayeg. Artist.


Artists unknown.


Thanks to www.100percentdelicate.blogspot.com for this image.

Well say what you like craft lives to fight another day.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE AND ALL THAT.


8 comments:

barbara renel said...

have downloaded stone pattern - well it was the most unsubtle hint! love the guerilla stuff!!! x

Rags and Tatters said...

me too I love them, feel a project coming on? Me unsubtle never ha ha.

lu said...

Avril, I absolutely LOVE this. The stones made me wonder if I could remember how to crochet, but now I want to be a yarn bomber!

Rags and Tatters said...

Me too I love it.

Lorna May said...

Really need to learn to crochet.

Do you get Cloth magazine? In recent issue they have an article on yarn bombing great fun. if not let me know will scan it for you.
{Dab and a dash.}

Rags and Tatters said...

Thanks so much for your kind offer, that would be brilliant as I don't get that mag.
cheers Avril

Little gamer said...

Those flowers on the fence are amazing!

Rags and Tatters said...

yeah wish it was my work its a great idea.